Rechercher dans ce blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

2022 NHL Mock Draft: Juraj Slafkovsky goes No. 1 in Corey Pronman’s final mock of the season - The Athletic

We’ve reached the eve of the 2022 NHL Entry Draft. We enter the draft with a lot of questions still and with significant uncertainty around the league about how the first few picks will play out. It’s made for a fun pre-draft process, and possibly a highly entertaining Thursday night. With those questions in mind, here is my projection of how the first round will play out. This mock draft may be updated over the next day, especially if a first-round pick is moved before the draft starts.

1. Montreal Canadiens: Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS (Finland)

The slight majority of my information from league sources is Montreal will take Slafkovsky with the top pick, but there are still quite a few league personnel who believe it will be Shane Wright. In my experience with the draft, when players start trending in one direction late in the process, they tend to keep trending, and right now a majority of the league sources I talk to are discussing Slafkovsky as the best player in the draft. I don’t believe Montreal’s positional needs play a large factor in this decision even if obviously NHL teams prefer centers and defensemen. The Canadiens lost 60 games last season — they have needs everywhere.

2. New Jersey Devils: David Jiricek, RHD, Plzen (Czechia)

If Slafkovsky is available at this pick, I believe he’s the Devils guy. If he isn’t, it gets complicated. I could see Shane Wright here. There is obviously a ton of speculation about the Devils trading the pick in this scenario, too. Should they remain at No. 2, my best guess is they pick one of the top two defensemen, David Jiricek or Simon Nemec, with my best intel of late being they lean toward Jiricek. One name I’ve also been told not to rule out with New Jersey at No. 2 is Marco Kasper.

3. Arizona Coyotes: Logan Cooley, C, U.S. NTDP (USHL)

If Wright goes 1, then Slafkovsky 2, then I believe Arizona will be debating between Cooley, Nemec and Cutter Gauthier for this pick. If Wright is available, it makes it more interesting. My best information is Arizona prefers Cooley, but I could absolutely see Wright being picked here as well, and my information on their preference from league sources is a near coin flip.

4. Seattle Kraken: Shane Wright, C, Kingston (OHL)

If Wright starts to slip a little, my bet is this is his floor. If it goes Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley 1-2-3, then I believe Seattle will be down to one of the top two defensemen, Jiricek and Nemec, Joakim Kemell or Gauthier, with my money being on them taking Nemec.

Cutter Gauthier (RvS.Media / Monika Majer / Getty Images)

5. Philadelphia Flyers: Cutter Gauthier, LW/C, U.S. NTDP (USHL)

I’ve been hearing a lot about Gauthier and the Flyers as we get closer to draft day. I imagine this is a floor for Cooley if something surprising happens before this pick, such as Gauthier going at 3 or both defensemen being picked.

6. Columbus Blue Jackets: Simon Nemec, RHD, Nitra (Slovakia)

While I think it’s possible someone like Kasper or Jonathan Lekkerimaki can break up the somewhat consensus group of six at the top of this draft, I still project Columbus to be in on whichever of the top six rated prospects in Slafkovsky, Wright, Cooley, Jiricek, Gauthier and Nemec are there. In this scenario it is Nemec.

7. Ottawa Senators: Joakim Kemell, RW, JYP (Finland)

Kemell and Matthew Savoie are the two players I’ve heard speculated to Ottawa in the draft leadup. They’re both highly talented and compete well, but smaller wingers in the top 10 don’t tend to jibe with what Ottawa has prioritized in the draft of late so a part of my brain worries I’m missing something and this pick ends up being someone like Kasper, Conor Geekie or Kevin Korchinski.

8. Detroit Red Wings: Marco Kasper, C, Rogle (SHL)

I’ve had Kasper to Detroit pretty much since my first mock draft, so I apologize for the lack of creativity here. I just see so much that makes sense from a talent, positional and stylistic fit. If they went in a different direction my best bet would be for either Savoie, Joakim Kemell or Korchinski.

9. Buffalo Sabres: Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden (SHL)

I expect Buffalo to use the first of its three first-round picks primarily to add offense and skill to the organization. I’ve heard Savoie and Kemell speculated here but the best guess from my information is they will pick either Lekkerimaki or Kasper.

10. Anaheim Ducks: Kevin Korchinski, LHD, Seattle (WHL)

Unless someone falls unexpectedly, my best information is Anaheim ends up taking Korchinski or Pavel Mintyukov at this spot, adding a new top defenseman prospect to the organization that just traded away Hampus Lindholm and Josh Manson. I have heard Denton Mateychuk’s name mentioned here too by team sources.

11. San Jose Sharks: Matthew Savoie, C/RW, Winnipeg (WHL)

Savoie would fit into the types of highly skilled and competitive players the Sharks have targeted in recent years. If either Kemell, Lekkerimaki or Korchinski make it this far I believe they would all be in serious consideration for the Sharks too.

12. Columbus Blue Jackets: Pavel Mintyukov, LHD, Saginaw (OHL)

As we’ve approached the draft I’ve heard less “Russian factor” concerns on Mintyukov, who played all year in North America and didn’t go home to Russia to train this offseason. My current expectation is he will go somewhere in the top 12-13 based on what I’m hearing in the industry. Adding him and Nemec would be a huge boost to the defensive depth in Columbus.

13. New York Islanders: Nathan Gaucher, C, Quebec (QMJHL)

I realize this looks like a way off consensus pick at 13, but I keep hearing Gaucher is more highly valued in team circles than his public perception might be due to his being a 6-3 two-way center who some teams believe has legit skill. I could buy the Islanders going Geekie or Mintyukov here instead though.

14. Winnipeg Jets: Conor Geekie, C, Winnipeg (WHL)

Geekie is a highly divisive name in the scouting community. I could see him going much higher or much lower. I do think he’ll be a name in the Jets mix, along with Mintyukov, Gaucher and Noah Ostlund.

15. Vancouver Canucks: Noah Ostlund, C, Djurgarden (Sweden)

Gaucher and Ostlund are the two names I’ve heard the most with Vancouver in the runup to the draft. Both would be significant upgrades to their young center depth, but Ostlund plays a more dynamic skill and speed game. I’ve also heard Liam Ohgren speculated here too.

16. Buffalo Sabres: Jiri Kulich, LW/C, Karlovy Vary (Czechia)

Kulich’s name continues to rise, and I think he has a strong chance to be a top-20 pick on draft day. I’ve mocked Danila Yurov here consistently and I do think he could be in play, but Kulich offers far less risk and is still quite a talent. I’ve also heard Ostlund speculated here if he’s still available.

17. Nashville Predators: Owen Pickering, LHD, Swift Current (WHL)

My expectation throughout the draft process would be that Nashville would add a defenseman at 17. Whether it’s Pickering, Denton Mateychuk or Lian Bichsel, I believe they will try to help their depth at that position with this pick.

18. Dallas Stars: Lian Bichsel, LHD, Leksands (SHL)

Dallas has quite a few strong forward prospects coming through the pipeline, but there isn’t a ton coming on the blue line. Thus, I expect them try to add a defense prospect whether it be Bichsel, Pickering or Mateychuk.

19. Minnesota Wild: Frank Nazar, C, U.S. NTDP (USHL)

I know Nazar is an internet favorite, but based on conversations around the league, it’s around the late teens that I expect teams to start debating him seriously. His style of play would mesh with that of fellow Wild prospect Marat Khusnutdinov. I could see Reid Schaefer as another possibility here if they want size.

20. Washington Capitals: Reid Schaefer, LW, Seattle (WHL)

Schaefer’s name has been trending with teams after his great WHL playoffs. I fully expect him to be a first-round pick, and I don’t think him going as high as 20 is unreasonable. There isn’t a lot in the Capitals pipeline that looks like Schaefer as a big winger with some skill and sandpaper. I could see Pickering here too if he gets to 20.

21. Pittsburgh Penguins: Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk (KHL)

As we’ve gotten to draft week, I’m getting the sense around the league that teams are getting cold feet on picking players with KHL contracts like Yurov, whom many scouts rate top 10 on talent. The Penguins would likely prefer a top center or defense prospect here, but at this point in the draft the obvious ones are gone. Rutger McGroarty and Jimmy Snuggerud are names I’ve heard speculated here, but I think at 21 Yurov may be too enticing to pass up.

22. Anaheim Ducks: Jimmy Snuggerud, RW, U.S. NTDP (USHL)

I could see Snuggerud go before 22, but right around this range is where I expect him to become a serious consideration for clubs. He’s a strong, skilled winger who competes well and can score goals. You can see him complementing someone like Trevor Zegras or Mason McTavish quite well. I could also see Kulich as the pick here.

23. St. Louis Blues: Ryan Chesley, RHD, U.S. NTDP (USHL)

Chesley makes a lot of sense for the Blues in terms of his highly competitive play style, while also addressing a clear organizational need for some quality young defensemen. If either Pickering or Bichsel last to 23, I have to imagine they would be very much in the Blues mix as well.

24. Minnesota Wild: Denton Mateychuk, LHD, Moose Jaw (WHL)

Minnesota would know Mateychuk well after he played so much with fellow Wild pick Daemon Hunt. With expectations that keeping Matt Dumba will be difficult, Mateychuk can be the dynamic skating/skillful puck-mover to replace him long-term even though he lacks size. Alternatively, I could see Kulich as the pick here.

Rutger McGroarty (Mike Mulholland / Getty Images)

25. Toronto Maple Leafs: Rutger McGroarty, LW, U.S. NTDP (USHL)

McGroarty is a highly talented and competitive winger who would add to the type of forwards Toronto has drafted in recent years. I could see Isaac Howard, Mateychuk or Liam Ohgren being in the mix here.

26. Montreal Canadiens: Liam Ohgren, LW, Djurgarden (Sweden)

Ohgren could be gone by this pick, but if he’s here I think he would be a great addition to the Habs forward group due to his mixture of skill, scoring ability and grind in his game. I’ve heard his name connected to the Habs through the draft process as well.

27. Arizona Coyotes: Sam Rinzel, RHD, Chaska (U.S. High School)

Rinzel is a player I’ve heard speculated as a late first for a large part of the season. As we’ve gotten to draft day and the defense crop doesn’t look overly deep, I think it could become reality for a team to swing on a high school kid who is playing USHL next season due to his fantastic toolkit. League sources believe Arizona wants to get bigger at this draft and picking a 6-4, mobile defenseman with some offense would be a good place to start.

28. Buffalo Sabres: Brad Lambert, RW, Pelicans (Finland)

I’ve heard a little more Lambert love from NHL sources in the last few days than I did in June. I think it’s still possible he’s picked in the teens, but my current bet is he goes somewhere in the 20s.  Lambert for Buffalo at 28 would be a big swing on the dynamic speed/skill combination with a hope he becomes more consistent.

29. Edmonton Oilers: Filip Bystedt, C, Linkoping (Sweden)

Bystedt feels like a perfect fit to boost the Oilers center depth, because of his large frame and the pace at which he plays. This could be a possible Brad Lambert landing spot too. If they go for defense, I could see both Chesley and Rinzel as options here if either are available.

30. Winnipeg Jets: Isaac Howard, LW, U.S. NTDP (USHL)

Howard was once considered a lock to be a first-round pick, but I’m not getting that sense from scouts in the last few weeks. I still think he squeaks into the first due to his very high skill level and ability to put pucks in the net.

31. Tampa Bay Lightning: Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Avangard (Russia)

Despite Miroshnichenko making some positive progression is his fight against his Hodgkin’s lymphoma, as we get closer to the draft, I’ve started to sense more skepticism among teams about a player many scouts had rated in the top five six months ago. I’m guessing he goes closer to 30 than 20 as I had previously mocked. Tampa could be in position here to add a type of talent they’ve drafted very little of in recent years due to their lack of draft capital.

32. Arizona Coyotes: Tristan Luneau, RHD, Gatineau (QMJHL)

Luneau’s stock has gone up and down over the past year but I still think he’ll be a tail-end first or a very early second-round pick. He has flaws particularly in his skating, but 6-2 defensemen who can move the puck aren’t easy to find and could be appealing to the Coyotes even if they already picked Rinzel.

(Illustration: John Bradford / The Athletic; Photos: Rena Laverty / US NTDP; Xavier Laine, Chris Tanouye / Getty Images)

Adblock test (Why?)


2022 NHL Mock Draft: Juraj Slafkovsky goes No. 1 in Corey Pronman’s final mock of the season - The Athletic
Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes on Lamar Jackson: He’s the MVP for a reason - Arrowhead Pride

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes is no stranger to high-profile matchups. Mahomes will face his biggest one of the season, h...